Peter is an avalanche education industry leader with over 25 years’ experience heli, cat and ski tour guiding in Alaska, Canada, Asia and his home in NZ.
He employs a systems approach to risk management in the mountains. Peter expects students and clients to fully understand and be able to communicate the risks of a given day and shares/demonstrates how the dangers can best be mitigated; most often via effective terrain selection and management.
Peter feels extremely fortunate to be able to use nature’s largest white board; the mountains, to share these concepts in a way that allows folks to safely return again and again – while sniffing out the best snow available in the process.
- Points North Heli Adventures Ltd – Cordova, Alaska – Avalanche Forecaster/Ski Guide (2015– Present)
- Otago Polytechnic – Wanaka, NZ – Avalanche Programme Manager/Principle Lecturer (1999-Present)
- Harris Mountains Heli-Skiing – Wanaka, NZ – Senior Ski Guide (1996-Present)
- Shinsetsu Mountain Guides – Niseko, Japan – Ski Tour Guide (2010-2011)
- Big Red Cats Cat – Skiing Adventures Rossland, B.C. Canada – Chief (Supervising) Guide (2008-2009)
- Independent Ski Guide/Safety Consultant – Wanaka, NZ (1997-Present)
- Treble Cone Ski Area – Wanaka, NZ – Ski Patrol (1992-1999)
- Vail Associates – Vail, Colorado – Backcountry Ski Guide (1992-1994)
- B.S in Mechanical Engineering – Clarkson University – NY
- B.S in Business Economics – SUNY Oneonta – NY
- Advanced Rope Rescue (Ropeworks) (2015)
- US Heli Ski Association Level 3 Mechanized Ski Guide (2015)
- Wanaka Alpine SAR team (since 2008)
- NZMGA Full Cert. Ski Guide (since 2006)
- AIARE Level II Avalanche Instructor (2006)
- NZ Snow & Avalanche Committee (since 2006) (current chairperson)
- Avalanche Education Working Group (since 2005)
- NZMSC Stage II Avalanche Practitioner (since 1997)
- ISIA Full Cert. Ski Instructor/Examiner (since) 1995
- NZMSC Stage II Avalanche Assessor – Current
- Pre-Hospital Emergency Care – Current
Peter is the mad scientist of snow forecasting. He knows where the good stuff is located!